When the Ottoman rule was established, there was higher population density than in any other parts of Montenegro. There is a fact about this, that dates back to the thirties XVIII – th century. Gusinje had 600 homes and about 200 craft shops. The town was built in Plav during Turkish rule with its high walls, where mainly the begs lived. During the Turkish rule, Plav had independence which lasted for 34 years, and the 1878 decisions of the Congress made Plav and Gusinje affiliated to Montenegro.
T he Plav is said to have completed its withdrawal in 1619 , and was first mentioned as a city, by then Plav`s parish or Plav`s nahija. There are assumptions that the term Plav derives from the name of the Roman emperor Phlavius who once ruled the region.
G usinje was first mentioned in the eighteenth – century as a village on the caravan road from Kotor and Skadar to Pec and Istanbul. At that time through the village, passed a large number of merchants and artisan writers, so it was very lively and visited by many people and described. During the Turkish rule Gusinje was the district center.
M urino (name) derives from the Turkish word “muhur” (MUR), which means “seal” and it is assumed that there used to be customs. Through Murino there are roads which lead to Berane, and the old road to Cakor which was built in 1925. During this period and on wards were roads that linked the cities of Pec, Prizren, Nis and Skopje.